Thursday, February 7, 2013

How to Detangle Matted and Tangled Natural Hair

My worst natural hair detangling sessions usually come after wash n' gos, removing micro twists and sleeping on matted hair. It's taken me hours in the past but I've found a way to cut down even my most challenging detangle sessions to under 15 minutes. Here is how I do it.
  1. Avoid washing natural hair when it is severely tangled. Drenching coily or kinky-culry natural hair only makes it shrink and tangle on itself even more. 
  2. Stretch your hair in a ponytail or bun for 30 minutes before beginning the detangling session to relieve matting. Do multiple sections if your hair is short. Even though it will still be tangled, it helps to relieve matting. Stretched hair is wals
  3. Separate your hair into manageable sections. 
  4. Pull on the ends of the hair and finger detangle each section for a minute or two. 
  5. Apply a slippery conditioner to the hair.
  6. Detangle calmly with a wide tooth comb or your tool of choice. Believe it or not, doing it calmly allows you to use less time and energy.

I have cut down my detangling time immensely. Go ahead and try this method. It sounds like a lot but takes very little time.

Watch the video below to see how one person detangles her hair in a similar way. Her hair is not extremely matted but the technique still works.



No comments:

Post a Comment